Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Activism By Survey-Sharing

Autism Research Institute has a decent sized following, and they have research money with which to do things, and they occasionally do stuff related to adults. They even have a newsletter (not as frequently running or well-filled as the main one, but extant) about adult issues.  And they do webinars.

They shared a survey asking for input on future webinars! It includes an open box for topic and/or speaker suggestions, and that means people can say what kinds of topics they would like to see covered.

I'm not going to tell you that you have to take it (though I'd really like it if you did.) I'm not going to ask you to suggest interest in any particular topic. But I will ask this: think about the Autistic people you know of who might be able and willing to give a webinar on a topic you're interested in. If you do take this survey, consider suggesting them as presenters. If you are ever planning a conference or other event on your topics of interest, consider suggesting them or inviting them as presenters.

Now, here's the newsletter, right at the part with the survey, which is on the left side of the screen.

http://www.ariconference.com/enews/enewsletter_current.html#LETTER.BLOCK25

Full disclosure: I don't much like the Autism Research Institute. Much too parent and professional dominated, and too open to woo. But if we have the opportunity to give suggestions about their webinars? I'm gonna take it and make sure as many people as possible know, because getting some decent stuff up among the nonsense is still a step in the right direction while we work on rebuilding a new system that doesn't suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.