Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

#Neurodiversity Reads

There is a group on Goodreads now, called Neurodiversity Reads. I have a pile of good things to say about them. I'm also a member, because BOOKS! And NEURODIVERSITY! Together! This is a good thing.
The group description is "Neurodiverse people, reading books about topics relevant to our lives."
So anything written by a Neurodivergent author counts as relevant, anything that's about a neurominority (so bipolar, autism, OCD, ADHD, etc) or multiple neurominorities is relevant. Advice books for neurodivergent folk are relevant. Books with neurodivergent characters are relevant. All my thoughts about neurodiversity in Tamora Pierce's writing are relevant, as is my "wait, is Alanna the Lioness autistic?" thought.  I really like Alanna, by the way- I dressed up as her for Halloween once.
So yeah, it's a cool group. There's a decent number of people in it, and there are some discussions in there that could totally be going on. Suggest books as yes, you should read this, suggest them as "this is a thing to stay away from!" Talk about the books. Just remember that this is a reading group that does not support eliminating neurodiversity. At all. Bigotry not allowed, be a decent human being and all that.
I'd also like to note that the group description is a good use of the word "neurodiverse." We're a group, so we can be diverse, and there are multiple neurologies represented within the group, so it really is a neurodiverse group in addition to being about neurodiversity. I just thought that was kind of cool. (Neurodiverse individuals, like said later in the rules, does not make sense. One person can't be diverse. People can be, individuals can't. Neurodivergent individuals could make sense, neurominorities could make sense, neurodiverse individuals just doesn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.