Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Monday, May 20, 2013

I think I'm back

Normally, I write really regularly. That didn't happen this past week. I think stuff surrounding my graduation is to blame. Because seriously, I was trying to wrap up my research in nanotechnology (successfully wrapped up, though I will probably get emails due to people not being able to read my handwriting and wanting to know what things are,) move out of the dorm, graduate, and do paperwork for going to China in the fall. This past week, I did enough stuff that even without "Alyssa has some executive functioning issues" to worry about, it would have been a very full week. As it, I'm exhausted. But it's all good, I get vacation now. I like vacation.
So, as for nanotech: I took SEM pictures of my samples, it looks like I have gotten the thing to happen that I wanted to happen. I don't think I can really say more than "I took pictures and my thing worked" because I'm fairly sure the university owns the research, not me, but I can tell you that. I also had to get some help preparing my samples, because, no, we are not going to have a dyspraxic Autistic adult trying to pour from a two gallon jug of concentrated hydrofluoric acid. That is just a recipe for badness. We will have someone who is not dyspraxic and doesn't have any other kind of motor issue either do that. Hydrofluoric acid is nasty.
Moving out of the dorm I needed help with because cognitively figuring out what I need to do in order to move out is hard for me. This is where "Oh, crud, what is executive functioning?" comes in. So my mom helped me a lot with that. And it got done. Which is good.
Graduation was yesterday. I already had my degree (the math one, I've been a graduate student in one of those three majors since January,) but actually getting to walk across the stage was cool. And I had a pile of family there. And then I went home with my dad, stepmom, and siblings. (My parents divorced when I was really, really little. I have a couple memories from pre-divorce, but they aren't ones where the pre-divorce status is relevant. It's stuff like climbing in and out of my crib.)
So now I'm at my dad's and I'm done with all my school stuff. This might be the first summer I really have off in a long time. I think the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school was the last one where I was really off, since I went to China for the three after that and then I was at school doing research all last summer.
And I'm getting ready to go to China, for a year this time. It's exciting.
Oh, and the "security" at graduation was exactly the security theater I knew it was going to be. I don't think the people doing the checks even realized I had a backpack. It was just a PR move because they figured people would be afraid. (Think fear, we do?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.