Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

NaPoWriMo

I'm doing National Poetry Writing Month.
This was my April 1 poem, referencing April Fools Day but not really an April Fools poem. References it in that people have been fooled, that is.

Trigger Warning: Ableism, Death

Fools of April

Blue, everywhere blue.
Fooled, everyone fooled.
Fooled by the promise of awareness,
Fooled by the words of the powerful.

Fighting, everywhere fighting.
Simply trying to survive.
Fooled by "the right to die."
Fooled into believing some lives not worthy of living.

Quiet, everywhere quiet.
So few to hear our screams.
Fooled by those who believe themselves good.
Fools of April, all.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Thank you.

    For all those who don't understand why we feel this way, I have one thing to share. I was having a great morning with my kiddo. I unfortunately decided to google "autism" today, just to see what's going on (hoping it would be different). Nope. Here is the first headline I saw: "Autism Bankrupts Families, Emotionally and Financially." How lovely. So that's what autism awareness means. So glad we have this month of awareness (being sarcastic). I lay that kind of negative awareness at the doors of Autism Speaks (I think they are quoted in that article--couldn't really bear to read it).

    But it is a beautiful April day. And I am going to go celebrate my wonderful child.

    Hugs to you for real acceptance, and for all you do.

    J.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.