Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Autism Voted.

I'm not talking about who won. I didn't stay up to find out, honestly. (Yeah, I use a queue. I don't even know if the winner's even been announced yet what with the time differences across the country. California polling closed, what, an hour ago?
I'm also not talking about the way that they're talking about in the Autism Votes campaign, with "their" 1 in 88.





 
See, that has some problems.
  • It's Autism Speaks. What they think 1 in 88 needs and what 1 in 88 really needs are not the same. For example, they still think that 1 in 88 needs more research about vaccines being possibly linked to autism. Science has already answered- not linked, not linked even when there was thimoserol in most of them, the aluminum is less than is in our braces, everyone can go home now because vaccines don't cause autism and vaccines have some of the lowest rates of side effects other than soreness/tenderness of pretty much anything.
  • 1 in 88 can't wait is true, but we disagree pretty strongly on what we can't wait for. (See above.)
  • "OUR" 1 in 88? We are our own flipping 1 in 88. Autistic people can and do vote. I voted. (Yes, for Obama. I care about things like civil rights for people who are not white straight men and reproductive health care for everyone other than cismen being no harder to come by than for cismen. (Cismen= Assigned male at birth, also identifies as male, just for reference.) Autism does not vote unless autistic people are voting. That's a pretty good comeback for all of their "Autism does X" campaigns, actually.
Now, this. This is what I mean by autism voted.
 
That's from ThAutcast. It's actually in response to the Autism Votes thing if I recall.
This makes the point that everyone needs to hear. We are our own 1 in 88, and whatever we may vote for, whatever we may agree or disagree on voting for, we can vote for ourselves. We can decide what to vote for, we can go vote. Given the number of places I saw that photo shared, I'd say that many of us do, too! Quite a few people have had it as a profile picture. It was shared around tumblr. Autism voted because autistic people voted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.